Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Peppermint Chocolate Protein Balls


I've been seeing all these recipes for protein balls and I was kinda like, "what the heck do you need a protein ball for?"  But they looked kinda good so I thought I would try it. I reviewed a few recipes and took a little bit from a couple different ones and well made my own.  I have digestive issues with Whey Protein so I ended up making mine with Hemp Protein. I think if you can tolerate Whey then they would probably be that much better because typically Whey tastes better anyways. Now these protein balls are not baked so they have kind of a thicker cookie doughish texture to them. You keep them in the refridgerator and just take them out as needed. So I have to say I'm kind of a fan of Protein balls now. For one, they are pretty tasty and they are extremely convenient when you need a snack. For two,  when your tempted to eat something bad they are just right there for eating so you don't put something in your mouth that you will regret later. Brad even liked them which is a big plus!  So it's  a super healthy little snack of Protein and Omegas with the Chia seeds and you get a little coconut and dark chocolate in the mix. Oh and peppermint.  Definetly don't forget the peppermint!!  I swear it makes everything good! 


Ingredients:
1/2 cup Coconut flour
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder (or 4 Tbsp of Hemp Protein)
1 cup Coconut Milk
4 tsp Natural Cocoa Powder
1/4 cup Chia Seeds
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp of Natural Vanilla Essence
1/4 tsp of Peppermint Essence
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar
1/2 cup Shredded Coconut 
100% Dark Chocolate for drizzling 



So basically your going to put in a bowl all your dry ingredients then add the Coconut milk and vanilla and peppermint and honey.  I just took a butter knife and started slicing through and mixing the ingredients together then moved to a fork and made sure everything was super mixed. If you have a food processor this would probably be a great time to use it but I'm still in need of one.  Now it should be like cookie dough, thick enough to stay together and moist enough to not crumble apart. So if you find yours is crumbly add more coconut milk. And if you think it's to moist add more protein powder or even coconut flower.  They aren't going to be baked so make them to a consistency that they will stay in a ball. Then roll them in your shredded coconut, drizzle with your melted dark chocolate and place in the refridgerator. And eat whenever your feeling like you need a protein ball :)
Enjoy!
-Jessica 
 



2 comments: