Thursday, November 7, 2013

Finding balance... (Paleo Triple Chocolate Mint Brownies)


I had a craving for a brownie so bad yesterday. It's all I could think of all day.  As I thought about a brownie I had to stare at these....



Which have been in my home since Halloween thanks to my Father-in-Law who brought over his leftovers. (Who buys full size candy bars for little kids anyways? Only my Father-In-Law, the sweet man that he is). I didn't eat one, I just continued to eat the healthy food I had made for myself. It was good. But it wasn't a brownie.  I went to bed thinking about it and I woke up thinking about it. I made myself a healthy breakfast with berries thinking that would help. I sat on the couch and still wanted a brownie.  I was pissed at myself because I didn't get up and go to Crossfit like I should have and I was even more pissed that I couldn't stop thinking about the dang brownie. What was wrong with me?  And then BAM it hit me. It's almost that time of month!  Oh dear God now I get it. My female friends get it. Sometimes during that time you get a craving for something and it literally haunts you until you give in and eat whatever it is your craving.   Now the old Jessica wouldn't have thought twice about it.  She would have just went and bought herself a ooey goey brownie from Sweet Surrender.  But the new and improved Jessica thought about it and decided it wasn't worth ending her over 3 month long journey of gluten free.  BUT....  She did remember a recipe she had pinned on Pinterest for Paleo Peppermint Brownies. Anyone who knows me  knows if it has peppermint AND chocolate in it I'm gonna love it.   My first two clients of the day cancelled so I had extra time and I figured what the heck lets give these brownies a try and hopefully I can satisfy this craving and not fall off the band wagon and also not feel guilty.  So I mixed all the ingredients as told and tasted the brownie batter. I knew they were going to be good!  Popped them in the oven and waited. I got to thinking as I waited for the brownies to cook, ya know I'm gonna have a good amount of time for those brownies to cool before I can cut in to them.  Maybe I should go for a run to make up for not going to Crossfit this morning.  That would make me feel even better about this whole situation. So that's what I did. I took them out of the oven to cool and took off on a 2 mile run. That run was probably my fastest run ever. Especially since I sprinted the last quarter of the mile knowing my brownies were waiting for me.  I hurried up and took my shower and came downstairs for the moment of truth.  Yep they were amazing!  Maybe not Sweet Surrender amazing, but definitely Paleo Amazing!  I felt good. I got my fix. Got a run in and somehow was able to turn my grouchy morning into a better day by lunch time.  And you know what?  After I ate that brownie I was actually craving my chicken salad for lunch. Crazy huh!  I think this was a good example of balance.  Some days things don't go as planned but you can still find a way to balance it out. I feel better already.   So when you need a chocolate fix try these babies out!


Now I actually used 100% dark Chocolate on these to make them more Paleo verses the 60% mint dark chocolate.  But do whatever makes you happy :) I don't judge

Paleo Triple Chocolate Mint Brownies
*Makes 9 servings

Ingredients:
3 ounces mint dark chocolate bar 60% cacao or higher (I used Alter Eco)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup creamy almond butter
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon plus a few drops peppermint extract
3 organic cage free eggs
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup of chocolate chips (Enjoy Life or Ghiradelli Dark 60% Cacao)



Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. In a medium sized bowl melt the Mint Dark Chocolate bar using the double boiler method.

3. Once the chocolate is melted, slowly stir in the liquid coconut oil.

4. Then stir in the almond butter, maple syrup, peppermint extract and eggs.

5. Now whisk in the dry ingredients, the coconut palm sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder.

6. Fold in the chocolate chips.



7. Grease an 8×8″ square glass pan with coconut oil or butter and pour in the brownie batter.

8. Cook for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!







Thank you to Clean Eating With A Dirty Mind for sharing this wonderful recipe on Pinterest. I thoroughly enjoyed these and I hope you do to.


-Jessica

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jessica! That is so awesome that you were able to satisfy your craving by making paleo brownies. Even though you didn't make it to cross-fit your self control paid off and opened another door to be active! Keep it up girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete