Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book Review: Zen and the Art of Happiness

Zen And the Art of Happiness
By Chris Prentiss



While browsing through some shops in Carmel on a recent vacation, I happened to come upon this book. After Rachel and I had just been talking about starting our blog it obviously caught my attention. Zen.. And the Art of Happiness. First of all I like that it was small, the size of my hand, and skinny. That meant I could read it fast.  I shouldn't think like that, but I do. So I picked it up and turned it over to read the first few words. "Cutting edge science and spirituality". Got me. That might scare some off especially my super religious friends but it intrigued me. So I bought it. Ten dollars later and a few more hours of browsing in Carmel and I realized it was the only thing I could afford in that cute,  quaint, ridiculously expensive little town. So we drove back to Monterey to our hotel and I sat on the balcony of my hotel facing the ocean and I started to read. Brad was happily taking a nap and I had some quiet time to read.  In the first couple pages I learned that the three little Chinese characters on the front when used together denote "Happiness".  I also learned that the Buddha's large pot belly symbolizes "Happiness."  Perfect.. I'm gonna like this book. I spent my down time on vacation reading this small book. Little did I know how the words in this book would transform my thinking. I literally came home a changed woman.  This book changed my thought process and taught me how to think and feel to create my own happiness.  It made sense to me.  My little book was small and easy to read and yet somehow the words in this book spoke to me. Now for my religious friends you might get a little scared away when the author uses the word Universe. For those friends I say replace it with "God" or whatever makes you feel better.  Because trust me we can all learn a lot from this book. I finished the book before I ended my vacation in Monterey and on my last day I was browsing through a little shop and found a little Buddha. He was cute with his potbelly and he made me think of my book and he made me happy. So I bought him. Brad thought it was weird, but said if it made me happy I could have my little Buddha as a keepsake from our vacation. He stands all of 3 inches tall.  I tucked him in my suitcase in a safe place finished out my trip and came home. I told myself to remember the words I read, and to keep them clear in my head as I went back to the daily grind, so I can take on life's challenges with my new improved attitude. I put my little Buddha on my night stand. I went to bed the first night home got all tucked in, turned to my left and what the!!!  My Buddha glows in the dark!!  Score!!!  I have a built in night light that is a constant reminder to just be HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!
-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment