Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Barbequed Artichoke

Ahhhhh my love affair with Artichoke. My husband and I visited a whole in the wall BBQ restaraunt at the coast and found BBQ'd Artichoke on the menu. And there it began. My love affair with BBQ'd Artichoke and my husband being the manly BBQ'er he is decided to replicate it, and replicate it he did! I am going to share with you what he does to put these yummy weird things on my dinner table.

What you need..
2 Artichokes
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
You can adjust your Butter/Oil mixture according to how many artichokes your using.


First buy Artichokes. More than one because your gonna eat a whole one yourself and then eat half of his too when he's not looking.  Cut the Artichoke in half and remove the "choke" part. I usually use a knife to cut the bottom of the choke then use a spoon to scoop it out. 



 Now you HAVE to steam these babies first. Trust me you can't BBQ it long enough to cook it all the way through. So I usually steam them open side down for 20-30 minutes or until a knife is inserted and they are soft. 


Now take them out of steamer and put on a cutting board. Melt your butter and add the oil to it. Brush both sides of Artichoke with oil/butter mixture. Then salt and pepper the open face side. 


Now take to your BBQ which should already be on. BBQ leaf side down first for 4 minutes then flip over to open faced side and BBQ for another 4 minutes or until the artichokes have a slight char on them. Remember, they are already cooked you are just giving them that BBQ char to seal the deal. Now I would love to tell you what temperature to turn your gas grill too but I have no idea. The hubby cooks over a wood fire BBQ. But I would guess over medium heat. Just watch and make sure you don't burn them. Now please don't do anything unhealthy to these beautiful artichokes like dip them in mayonnaise :(  They are amazing and you just need to eat them leaf by leaf until you get to the heart and then savor every bite.
Enjoy!  -Jessica Stout



No comments:

Post a Comment